Each and every day we are gifted with 24 brand new hours to do with as we please (well, to some degree at least!) We do have the freedom to approach them in any way we please, meaning that we can view each new day as a clean slate- an opportunity to start fresh.
Whether you are a morning bird that leaps out of bed with the first ray of light, or if you tend to hit snooze a dozen times before rather reluctantly crawling from the covers towards the kettle, having a gentle morning routine can do wonders for you.
Think along the lines of self-care, inspiration, grounding and focusing. You may have an hour to yourself at the start of the day to really develop a routine that sets you up for your day. Or perhaps, and maybe even more realistically, you have 10 or 15 minutes where you can take a few moments for yourself before the world engulfs you!
If you often feel frazzled when you leave the house each day, take a look below at a few of these suggestions and create a routine that works for you. Find what works best for you and remember that what works best for you may change from day to day or week to week. Don’t underestimate the benefits that a good morning routine can offer you, whether that is 20 minutes or 2 hours! When your own cup is full, it easily overflows into all of your relationships and various aspects of life, allowing you to step into the world with grace, strength and confidence.
- Move your body! Upon rising, it’s a great time to wake up your body with a little movement. Try a nourishing, activating yoga sequence, go for a gentle run, take the dog for a walk or do some form of activity that you enjoy.
- Don’t skip breakfast! Make the time to enjoy a nutritious and tasty breakfast- try whipping up a smoothie, slather some avocado on wholegrain toast, dollop some coconut yogurt over fresh fruit or have some oats soaking overnight ready to be topped with your favourite super foods. This will kick start your digestion, sustain you for the morning and prevent you from reaching for less healthy options come mid-morning!
- Wake up your skin! A natural cleanser or exfoliator is the perfect way to ensure you start the day with clean, fresh skin. Choose a simple routine with nourishing and ethical products, or try making your own DIY cleanser and moisturizer with your favourite essential oils to set the mood for the day ahead.
- Try putting on some of your favourite music in the morning or read a favourite quote for the day ahead. Training your mind to focus on the positive things in life is a powerful technique and these little moments of optimism and connection will help pull you out of any early morning slump!
- Gratitude is a little of a catch word these days, but its power cannot be questioned. Take a moment to find three things that you are grateful for each day. They may be tiny- I am grateful that I have clean clothes to wear today, I am grateful that the sun is shining, or I am grateful for the people in my life right now. This practice has the power to change your way of thinking- give it a try.
- Try adding a little meditation practice into your morning. It can be five minutes while you are still in bed (try sitting up though to prevent you falling back into dream worlds!) or it may be 20 minutes in your favourite sunny morning place. Simple focus on clearing your mind, feeling at peace and letting the day ahead cease to exist for a few moments.
- Either before, during or after your meditation, take a few really big deep breaths. Feel your belly rise and fall and with each exhale, let go of negativity and stress. You may find yourself smiling after a few of these! Remember you can do this throughout the day- connecting to your deep natural breath will immediately help reduce feelings of stress and axiety.
- Try switching your morning coffee for a cup of herbal tea. Coffee is very stimulating and the caffeine crash is often more debilitating that the initial burst of energy it offers. Try a nourishing herbal tea that will ground your nervous system and keep you clear and focused for longer. The ever-popular turmeric latte or matcha latte also make a great coffee substitute if you’re looking for a way to make the switch!
- Are you a list-maker?! If your head is buzzing from the moment it lifts off the pillow (or sooner!) try jotting down a list each morning that will keep you focused without the fear of forgetting anything. Free your mind and stay on track!
- Choose one thing you would like to focus your energy on for the day ahead- maybe you wish to be more patient, more optimistic, more open-minded or even focus on practicing boundaries with saying yes or no to things that present themselves.
- Be mindful. In this day and age with the dominance of technology and our fast-paced lives, its easy to feel scattered and pulled in various directions. Try to focus on one task at a time and avoid time-wasting distractions where possible. Avoid social media for at least an hour after waking if you can- this will also give you more time for your self-care rituals!
This blog post was written by our amazing guest blogger Kelly.
Kelly is a passionate writer and raw/vegan chef who combines her love of writing with her forays into health and wellness. Kelly has traveled and worked extensively across the world in health resorts, detox centers, raw food restaurants and wellness retreats, sharing ways to live simply, mindfully and sustainably.Her work is regularly published in print media and online, as well as her own website, ‘Raw By Nature’ which offers vibrant nourishing recipes and information about plant-based living. A gypsy heart and lover of nature, Kelly finds inspiration in the world around her and translates her visions into whimsical stories and edible creations.