By Holistically Living
As adults we seem to appreciate the importance of sleep routines for children, but often forget about ourselves. Sleep is a basic human need much like eating, breathing and staying hydrated. A consistently bad sleep habit can lower your immune system, contribute to weight gain, create a negative mindset, impact anxiety and increase your risk of disease. It is clear that sleep can effect us mentally, physically and emotionally, so it is no wonder that establishing a sleep routine should be high on our priority list when it comes to our health!
Developing a routine before bed can significantly improve our quality of sleep, which can have a flow on effect to our overall health, particularly how we manage and react to stress.
Stress and lack of sleep go hand in hand when it comes to our health. Stress can impact the quality of sleep (you know that feeling of still waking up exhausted) and lack of sleep can make the feelings of stress seem so much more unmanageable! Don't let stress and exhaustion control your life... let's start here by establishing a bedtime routine.
Here are SIX tips to help you establish your own bedtime routine:
1. Eat and drink mindfully in the afternoon. Swap your caffeinated drinks for caffeine-free herbal teas from any time after lunch. Going to bed on a full tummy can also impact sleep, so aim to eat dinner 3-4 hours before going to bed.
2. Shut down activities that stimulate the mind at least an hour before bed (ie anything with a screen). Instead try reading, a guided meditation, a warm bath or gentle yoga.
3. Brain dump - a journal is great for this! Write down your to-do lists or any thoughts that are going through your head.
4. Take 10 slow deep belly breaths - a quick way of telling your body it is ok to rest and repair.
5. Introducing essential oils is a beautiful addition to a bedtime routine. Our sense of smell is the only sense linked to the emotional part of our brain. Using a relaxing oil before bed will trigger your body to recognise that it is bedtime. Lavender, Cedarwood and Sacred Sandalwood are some of our bedtime favorites.
6. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time each day - this teaches our body how to develop a natural sleep cycle.
Although it is important that you stick to a similar routine each night so that your body and mind knows that it is preparing for sleep, of course there will be times that you might not be able to do this. Just remember that it is what you do often that counts! If this is a completely new concept for you, start by just introducing one of the above and build from there. The key is to explore what works for you and stick to it.
Did you know that stress can impact every aspect of your wellbeing - your mental, physical and spiritual existence. Based around our Pillars of a Holistic Life, we have created the Holistically Living Lifestyle Program to arm women with the tools to manage stress and feel vibrant, full of energy and confident every single day.
For the women with her hands (and mind) full! Come join our supportive community of women striving (and kicking goals) toward a healthier, happier (less stressful) life - Body, Mind, Soul.